Sunday, February 20, 2011

An Extraordinary Life

Today was so pretty out.  It was the last day of our "spring" in the middle of February.  The temperature was about seventy degree's with  very little wind.  Along with everyone else in this neck of the woods, a week of unseasonably warm temperatures made us want to get outside and start digging in the dirt!

 First, Mark and I put together and hung a grow light over a table in the basement and put my spinach and cabbage seedlings under it.  I then planted  lettuce and broccoli seeds to join them.   After lunch and a nap on the couch, Mark  hooked up a four bottom plow to our 4020 JD tractor and I rode on the fender as he plowed our garden.  I enjoyed watching the wheat we had planted last fall roll underground to decompose and nourish our garden next summer.  I loved the smell of dirt mix with the smell of diesel from the tractor.  We laughed as our chickens came running to the fresh dirt, dig in it looking for bugs and acting like they were having the time of their lives.  I started planning where I would plant things and daydreamed about again eating  fresh potatoes, sweet onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, squash, cantaloupe, and watermelon.

Next we walked over to our little orchard and as Mark pruned the fruit trees, I carried what he cut off to a pile to be burned later.  After we were done we sat down on the edge of a planter,  looked across at what we had accomplished, and watched the chickens play as the sun was setting.  Mark got up to put the pruner away and I sat there just a moment longer.  I felt the slightest breeze blow across my face.  It felt like a caress from my heavenly Father.  I closed my eyes and basked in his love.  I thought "Lord, what a charmed life I have.  How pleasant are the boundaries you have set for me!"  I opened my eyes, still feeling the soft breeze on my face and realized I want to memorize this moment, memorize the goodness of the day I just lived.  I want to remember this ordinary day spent with Mark, the smell of the dirt, what the clouds and the sunset looked like, and the touch of God on my face.  I knew this day was a gift.  One to cherish and not just be thrown into the pack with all other days.  Someday, I will look back on today and I will know - I have lived an extraordinary life!


No comments:

Post a Comment