Saturday, January 15, 2011

My mamma

Last night I, along with grandson Kyson and granddaughter Kierstyn (also lovingly known as Wiggy) headed to my 97 year old mamma's house and we took her out for pizza and BINGO.  All the way down and all during eating I answered the kid's questions about how much money we might win but I kept telling them that most likely we wouldn't win a darn thing and that this was just to have fun.  I did BINGO once and won $10, but I quickly pointed out to the kids that all this meant is we got to play for half price, I was still $12 in the hole. (Sure didn't want to cause a gambling problem in the future)

 It's a little bit of a challenge playing BINGO with my mamma.   She is sharp as a tack and a joy to be around but she can't see very well anymore and therefore I have to keep an eye on her cards as well as my own.  In fact she probably misses more of the numbers than she catches, but we still declared mission accomplished - we had fun!

  As I get older, and she gets older, I realize how very precious these times with her are.  I realize how lucky I am to still have her and to have her so healthy and whole inside and out.  But more than that I realize how very precious she is.   I regret the times I took her for granted.  I wish I could relive my life and show her more appreciation than I did.  She has given me a legacy of faith, of love, of strength and of character.  Never  do you hear her say anything even remotely negative about anyone. (Except politicians)  I remember how this used to annoy me at her, I mean really!  Couldn't she see how those people were, and what fun was conversation if you couldn't  get in a few good digs at someone you didn't care for?  But now I know what a good, rare, and godly personality trait that is.  I hope and pray I am beginning to emulate it as I get older.  She is fun to be around and never one to feel sorry for herself.  She has accepted the changes that aging has brought to her body with nary a complaint.  What a role model she is for me!   I realize our time is short and I thank the Lord that he has pressed this realization home to me, so that I can enjoy this wonderful woman for as long as I am lucky enough to have her, to glean the wisdom she has inside and to learn how to live a life with no regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment