Thursday, January 13, 2011

The road well traveled.

As long as I can remember I have loved to write.  I have notebooks full of bible study thoughts and have written letters and prayers to the Lord for years.  You can pretty much chronicle my life by reading them. My yearly Christmas letters sometimes need extra postage because of all the pages I wrote.  I've kept a personal journal for years, recording such mundane facts like what time I got up, what time we went to bed, what I cooked for dinner and so on.  I've written long LONG letters to my kids when I knew they had a crisis going on in their lives or when they were exhibiting behavior I was not thrilled with and put it on their pillow.  I have a sneaking suspension that some of them, well for sure my oldest son, just tossed it in the trash without even opening the envelope, but I sure got a lot of things off my chest!  When I write a note to my husband, or the kids, or the UPS man it will always take up a full page.  When my family and I play Bolderdash, they always know which one is mine because they say "that one's Mom's, cause she always writes a novel."  My oldest daughter Kristi started a blog with her friend and so, knowing how much I love to write, especially about our family, she convinced me to start this.

 The fact is, with 54+ years on my body, 36+ years in my marriage, 6 children, and 13 grandchildren to my name I have walked down a lot of roads.  I have fallen in a lot of potholes and took a lot of dangerous curves way too fast!  I have even crashed more than once.  Along the way I learned that short cuts take you nowhere, there is a very important road map that you better check on a daily basis or you will end up lost, and slowing down to enjoy the ride is one of the best parts of the journey.  So, as random electrons fire in my head, bringing back a memory, a thought, or a lesson learned, I will now have a place to get them out of my brain and onto "paper" so to say.  If nothing else, it will give the kids a place to try and figure out why on earth their mother is the way she is.  So buckle up and we'll head out "on the road again"

No comments:

Post a Comment